All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have many new strategies and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not understand can harm you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your physician won't inform you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a Going Here discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery. see page
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the new lenses are readily available. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of millions of individuals around the world.